Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 20, 2018

My Brief Views on Dr. Gumi's Letter to Buhari

A number of friends who read my last post where I expressed the desire to block any political post on my Facebook page until after 2015 elections have asked my opinion on Dr. Gumi's letter to Buhari. This was my brief statement:
I am meeting Gumi soon on this. We haven't met for a while. But generally his views from Islamic jurisprudence are right since as most people estimate continuation of Jonathan beyond 2015 portends worse crises for the country than Boko Haram. This is a privileged information, I think, which he didn't elaborate on but which is crucial in understanding his statement. Buhari losing will be catastrophic. The other argument about Buhari being used and dumped isn't much necessary as politics is rampant with that culture, so it's not peculiar to Buhari.
And about the prospect of Buhari we are blessed with hindsight which we arw choosing to ignore at oir peril but which the Sheikh was not oblivious of. None of the factors that led to his defeat have we overcome. Yet, every election year we and power mongering politicians make this extremely humble and honest personality undergo the repeated torture of rape and defeat, both at polls and in court.
I pity Buhari. I could remember how dark sadness was written all over his face when we visited him at his house in Daura just after the 2003 election. Making him undergo such torture repeatedly just for their selfish reasons is inhuman of our politicians. And now they are at it again. When in 2011 he said he will not contest elections again, I told a friend, "Forget it. He will. The politicians will make him swallow his words. And even beyond 2015."
Where I disagree with Dr. Gumi is in the alternative. He thinks Atiku stands a better chance. No way. Neither is Kwankwaso. That's why I said the solution lies outside the box of ethnicity, religion and region, the three tools that the Peoples Destruction Party has mastered perfectly.
However, this idea, which has been accepted by every impartial person I have met, is ignored by politicians on both sides of the Niger.
It appears the doom is inevitable.

No comments: